Thursday 12 March 2009

Chilling in Glenorchy

I really did next to nothing on Wednesday morning. The weather was iffy again, so I just went for a wander around the Glenorchy walkway, which circuits the town. It was a nice enough little circuit.

After lunch I did a horse trek – it sounded like a nice thing to do and I thought it would be an interesting experiment to see whether or not I was still allergic to horses. Apparently I am; it didn't take that long for the sniffles to start. But it wasn't unbearable so I coped okay. My horse was an obstinate beast called Winston who likes to follow the guides and be second in line – when other horses tried to get in front he got snippy about it and it took me a while to work out how to control him properly. We trekked up the Dart River in the direction of Paradise, but didn't get as far as Paradise itself. Lovely views up into the mountains and lots of willow trees (which Winston tried to eat).

Had dinner at the hotel for the second night running and then read a trashy crime novel they happened to have handy – it was really bad, but diverting for a couple of hours.

This morning it was clear, so I hurried out to the lagoon I walked past yesterday and took some photos before the bus back to Queenstown. I've mostly mooched since getting back; done laundry and so on. I considered doing a jetboat trip but I'm not that fussed and would rather spend the cash on something else really.

Tomorrow it's back to Wellington for masters nationals (swimming) at the weekend, a final catch up with Wellington friends and then up round the East Coast on Monday.

No comments: