Saturday 26 May 2007

Washing day, fill up the bag!

(Mum, the title's for you. :))

My third load of laundry for the day has just finished ... tomorrow I must wash my walking trousers before next weekend's long weekend trip to Nelson. Luckily it's yet another beautiful day with some wind so perfect for drying.

A fairly busy week at work, although yesterday really felt like a Friday afternoon. Very tired for some reason. At least the weekend is here to recharge batteries (and do washing, and cleaning, and food shopping).

There was an interesting article in the Grauniad yesterday I noticed about ways of reducing rubbish. One of the suggestions was charging for special rubbish bags, which is the way they do it here. I have to buy special yellow Wellington council bags from the supermarket - I think they work out as 15c each - and also recycling bags, which are a bit more expensive. For recycling you can also use old supermarket bags. I don't create a lot of rubbish, living alone; in fact the yellow bags are a bit big and I only throw one away every two weeks (hurrah for airtight bins). But I can see it would be a good way on getting people to cut down a bit. It's nice to be encouraged to recycle too, as back in London I had nowhere to put a recycling bin, which is what you were supposed to have.

No comments: