Sunday 13 May 2007

A nice weekend

The weather has been kind this weekend. It might be autumn, but it's been pretty warm and mostly sunny.

I decided I'd had enough of being ill with a cold yesterday morning so made it to swimming. I felt a bit stuffed up still, but managed to plod down a decent number of lengths. And surprisingly enough I felt much better the rest of the day.

Went to the library as I had some books that needed taking back. Picked up some more, and in the middle of searching for the Haydn mass the choir I'm joining is singing I (unsuccessfully - it's "in processing") I found an album of anthems sung by the Christ Church Cathedral Choir - Oxford version, not the Chch NZ version! I rented it, and it's lovely. I also borrowed the Da Vinci Code movie, which was predictably cheesy but quite good fun too. Good cast at least, even if the plot was utterly rubbish. I enjoyed watching it while eating a very good dinner of a sort of bolognese/chilli thing I did with lots of vegetables and beef mince, washed down with a really nice wine from the local liquor store, followed by Kiwi figs and yoghurt. :)

Today I took the bike out to Scorching Bay and the Chocolate Fish cafe. 40 minutes there, not too much wind. Apparently all of Wellington and their dog (a lovely golden retriever, as it happened) had had the same idea, although most had driven. The cafe was packed, so I got my iced mocha as takeaway and drank it sitting by the beach. A man was playing a guitar nearby and it was rather lovely.

Cycled back, and discovered that the bread dough I'd put on to rise had for once actually risen. I may have cracked the yeast problem I've been having - namely, not enough action from the yeast resulting in dense bread. Today's has risen, and it rose again after I knocked it back, and is looking pretty good in the oven at the moment.

I'd better go and rescue my washing. It looks like it might rain.

No comments: