Monday 22 September 2008

Snow-capped mountains

I went up to Lake Karapiro (near Matamata) at the weekend to row - NZ masters championships. For a change, I was practically the youngest person there as you have to be 27 to compete in masters rowing. It was a lovely, relaxed, fun weekend and I won two shiny gold medals - in the 'A' (or 27-35 year old) pair and four.

On the way back yesterday afternoon it was sunny and clear, and we had absolutely amazing views over the Desert Road past the mountains. Despite grumbling about me being a tourist our designated driver kindly stopped a couple of times for me to take some photos.

Ruapehu:

Ruapehu

Ngauruhoe in the wing mirror (the only one of several of these I tried that came out focused):

Ngauruhoe

Ruapehu again:

Ruapehu

And Ngauruhoe again:

Ngauruhoe

Needless to say, apparently they've had a great ski season on Ruapehu ...

1 comment:

Gentian said...

GORGEOUS pics! How I envy you this experience.