Tuesday 2 September 2008

Random thoughts

Not much news really, life continues and spring is, at last, on its way.

There was an earthquake yesterday - 5.8, 80km deep, quite a long way away from Wellington. About 1.20pm everyone went "ooh, did you feel that?" and a moment later "and that?" Apparently I was the only person in the office who didn't feel it! I wonder if I'm less sensitive to motion or something? It would explain why I don't get travel sick, at least.

Slightly worryingly that's the third biggish earthquake in 10 months - the 6.8 near Gisborne before Christmas, a 5.9 in Hastings last week, and then this one. Luckily they've all been deep, but does this mean we're gearing up for the Big One that we're overdue? Or does it mean NZ's faultlines are shaking off something and we'll avoid the Big One? Still not used to earthquakes ...

Went swimming this evening as there's a meet at the weekend and I haven't been for a bit. Ended up fighting with a lot of sloooow swimmers - problem with going straight after work is that the local swim squad takes up half the pool and there are only two lanes for swimming properly, and they mark them "medium" and "slow". So you always get a lot of slow blokes who don't want to go in the slow lane but are actually very slow. It's always the women who move, never the blokes.

Jamie Oliver's on TV showing people why junk food is bad by getting Gunther von Hagen to dissect an obese corpse. It's really disgusting. I'm hungry, but I don't think I'll touch that chocolate I bought this evening!

And I took my bike to the shop today to get handlebar extensions fitted. It's an attempt to avoid getting cramped hands when I cycle. The guy also discovered my brake pads were worn through and told me I needed it serviced. Which is an expensive, but necessary, pain. I like the extensions though, they're great. :)

No comments: