Thursday 9 October 2008

Earthquakes

TV3 are doing an earthquake series. I missed last night's mockumentary about what would happen in Wellington if an 8.2 hit, but am watching the follow-up which is following a family as they pretend an earthquake has hit. There's a cheerful presenter hovering around knocking over bookshelves and so on as the family go through survival motions. It's rather sobering really - this isn't a joke in any sense, this could happen, and the earthquakes have been frequent and strong recently. Though that said Geonet hasn't recorded one since Sunday ... don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. But I have my emergency supplies of a big bottle of water, ready meals that don't need water to cook, and I know where all my camping gear is, so I'm okay really. I think.

Still, it's scary. And even when I go home it'll be scary, because when the big one does hit I'll be thinking of my friends here. Wellington's a lovely city but it's badly-placed for a big earthquake.

No comments: