Monday 6 October 2008

ARA Libertad

Last week an Argentinian naval frigate, the ARA Libertad, turned up in Wellington. She's on a round-the-world tour and was here for a week, open to the public on afternoons. I fitted in a visit on Friday during my lunchbreak, along with half of Wellington - she was packed with people, including those who thought they knew stuff about ships and didn't (the old gent informing his family she'd be able to make above 20 knots under sail easily, and the ladies, looking at the mizzenmast and the various lines around it, who commented, "clearly they don't climb the rigging anymore". Well, not straight up the mast, ladies ...) I refrained from being an insufferable know-it-all and concentrated on taking as many pictures as I could (I ran out of time and memory space). Here are a few.

ARA Libertad

Flag and mast

Staysail

Davit

Anchor

Bowsprit

ARA Libertad

Anchor

No comments: