Saturday 21 April 2007

Aim: to start blogging regularly

I meant to add posts to this thing a lot more regularly than I have been. Now that I'm finally settling in properly to NZ, it's about time I made an effort to do that.

I've been at work two weeks now and it's going fine. Everyone's nice, the sector is interesting and all is good. Outside work I'm particularly enjoying swimming again - I've found a nice club with really friendly, sociable people, and there are also plenty of fast blokes to try and keep up with so I'm not just plodding along. Although I was plodding today, it just wasn't going right.

Anyway, I thought I'd start "regular blogging" with a list of what I like best so far about NZ. A nice positive post. :)

- The landscape. It seems like every corner you go round there's a new view. When I was driving around the Wairarapa the other week (I will blog this eventually) I really wanted to stop the car and jump out and take a picture about every 100m. I didn't, but I wished I had done. I've always loved mountains and sea so really NZ is perfect. And it's so green, and interesting, and the light is so good. Even Wellington is beautiful. I love cycling back from swimming on a Saturday morning around the bays. You can see right over towards the Wairarapa range of mountains, and there's the blue blue sea, and the hills encircling the city. Also on a clear night you can actually see stars - in the city centre. Wonderful.

- The people. It's a Kiwi stereotype that's true. Everyone is extremely friendly and relaxed.

- Wine. Good wine. Lots of it.

- The fact you can get a decent cup of coffee anywhere you go, even the smallest places. It's reassuring.

- A work ethic that postively encourages finishing work at 5pm. My boss came over the other day to check I was leaving. It means even after doing some exercise, or going to the library, or to the supermarket, I can still be home by 7pm. A nice change from mad London.

- Very few people smoke here, and it's nice.

No comments: